Sunday 11 March 2012

A teacher learning in the garden: Post #4

We are so happy to have Tia documenting her learning journey- here's her latest post!


Hello again!
Since my last post I have had the opportunity to research many native Vancouver coastal plants with my service learning partner, Kailee. Many (if not all) of the researched plants may be planted this spring in the Orchard Garden. After looking at so many photos of these local plants I have to say I am pretty excited to see what they are going to look like in real life!
I really like the look of the nodding onion plant and the shrubby cinquefoil…I don’t think I have ever seen these before.
All of the plants being considered for the native plant garden are plants that have been medicinally used or eaten by First Nations groups throughout history.
Here is a list of possible native plants you may see this summer in the garden: The snowberry, the oregon grape, the red-flowering currant, the red-osier dogwood, Labrador tea, sword ferns, the common camas, the evergreen huckleberry, and the salmonberry.


shrubby cinquefoil


nodding onion


No comments:

Post a Comment